Monday, January 25, 2010

Ed Cunningham, my Father

I'm reposting this blog today, because this is the anniversary of my fathers death. Kinda of a weird day each year. This was originally posted on 9/22/09

My dad would have been 71 years old today, Mom and I were just talking, wondering what he may have looked like at 71. My niece & nephew were so young when he died they may not even have distinct memories of him? I know the rest of my family has fond memories of Dad, there are things that I do or say that remind me of my dad. I still wont get a tattoo because he always told me to never make the mistake he did. I wasnt even allowed to use the rub on tattoos from the cracker jack box. I wonder so often how my dad would have dealt with me being gay, would he handle it as well as Mom? Id probably have to go on some damn boring fishing trip and get him alone in a boat on a quiet lake to tell him, Im sure eventually he would be OK with it. His temper would make him react negatively at first but then he would come around. I wonder how different my life would have been if he hadnt died when I was 16 years old. This coming January will be the 25th anniversary of his death. It seems like yesterday and a life time ago all at the same time.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for sharing about your dad. My dad died in 1995 miss him every day

VERITABLE VIRGO said...

Kurt, Thanks for sharing this great post. I was something like 7 years old when my dad passed (a year after my younger brother). Family stories tell me he was heartbroken from that loss. I too often wonder how my life would be different had he not passed as well as how he would react to my being gay. I guess we can only hope to be the best possible people we can and hope that we honor their memories.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. My dad would also have been 71. He died at 49 in 1987.

I often ask the same questions you have...

Thanks again.

FFB

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Kurt. I think it is wonderful that you have fond memories of your dad and such a great relationship with your mom. Some of us do not have fond memories or a relationship with our parents. Being gay was not something mine found accepting.